Loading
Visitor Tee Booking

Club History

Like many British golf courses Hallamshire was the product of an affluent and growing middle class looking for a fashionable escape from their daily business lives.

In Sheffield, it was local newspaper proprietor Christopher Leng who opened the course in 1897 on the upland heath at Sandygate overlooking the emerging city centre. In 1908 Hallamshire was considered good enough to house the Yorkshire Championships and the club set out to become the finest in the region.

An unknown professional golfer designed the original course, which underwent a series of modifications before the famous architects Colt, Alison and Morrison were hired in 1937 to introduce radical changes, bringing the layout we have today, including the introduction of the signature 6th hole.